Many Dominicans eat their meat cooked over a long period of time until it becomes tender and flaky. This might not be of your preference. Feel free to cook the meat as best suits you.
Time: 40 Mins
Serve: 4 people
Before starting to cook: Wash the meat with warm water and scrub with the lemon. Cut in small pieces.
- 4 lbs prime beef cut into 2 inches-wide strips
- 4 small red onion sliced in strips
- 4 tablespoons of oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of mashed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of oregano
- Sprinkle the steaks with pepper, salt and oregano and rub with the garlic, reserve. In a pot heat half the oil and sautee the onions until they become transparent. Add the vinegar and simmer over very low heat until all the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the pan and reserve.
- In the same pan add the steaks and pan fry until the meat is of your liking. Remove the steaks from the pan and reserve. Add the onions to the pan to reheat them.
- Serve with Arroz Blanco (White Rice), a side dish (or salad) and beans.